I have three parrotlets and one of them is taking the strings from the basket that they have collectively ripped apart and attaches it to her back. Why do they do that? O.o
That behavior is called 'Anting'. No one knows exactly why they do it, but it’s most commonly seen during a molt; it may be an itch-relief thing. Who knows!
- tehawkwardartist likes this
- beyonddusk likes this
- scp-3068 reblogged this from fat-birds and added:
- mynnia said: for nesting purposes? i think that is one way how they collect material. you often see it with newspapers etc.
- astockdoveisacompactpigeon reblogged this from fat-birds
- xavierthetroll likes this
- bookslesparks likes this
- celinesci said: It’s nesting behavior, they put it on their back for traveling.
- lauretteob said: She is putting it in her feathers to carry home to make a nest! It’s a pretty common nesting behavior!
- moonkelpie reblogged this from fat-birds and added:
- mournfulblis said: nesting
- moonkelpie likes this
- whored-oeurves said: Birds are always sticking stuff in their feathers that they like. It’s like makeup to them
- sparrowkeets likes this
- biologizeable likes this
- butts-for-days said: It’s a way of carrying nesting material!
- project-genesis likes this
- kit-bird said: It’s a nesting instinct!
- omnicat said: I’ve seen videos of birds sticking strips of torn-off paper in their tail, as if to give themselves extra feathers. I don’t know a thing about birds though, so my best bet is vanity. :P
- geenius said: they put things like paper, string, etc. on themselves to make it easier to carry back to their nest to build it. i think it’s adorable when they do this :D
- meo0o0111 likes this
- nothiablue reblogged this from fat-birds
- guavasaur likes this
- catoncoals reblogged this from fat-birds and added:
- glitchbunny said: hello! you might want to tell your followers about this blog! askbirdbloggers.tumblr…. it’s a collection of bird bloggers with lots of bird knowledge!!!
- mononoke-at-midnight likes this
- fat-birds posted this